Many will remember this from Little House in the Big Woods when too many stones made the dress pocket rip off (fortunately, easily repaired!). Make your own torn calico pockets to keep treasures in.
- calico fabric
- ribbon or yarn
- matching thread
- pinking shears
- Cut two pieces of calico fabric the same size.
- On the top edge of each piece, fold over two times the width of your ribbon.
- Sew close to the edge of the fabric – when done, there will be a “tunnel” along the top of the fabric for you to put your ribbon through. It will act as a drawstring.
- Match up the two pieces, wrong sides together, and carefully stitch on the other three sides to make a pocket.
- On the same three sides you just sewed, cut the edges carefully with pinking shears to make it look “torn”. Be careful not to cut through any of your stitching. You may want an adult to do this for you.
- Insert your ribbon through the casing, then pull tight like a drawstring and tie
- Keep special pebbles, or other Little House treasures in your Torn Calico Pocket!
From Little House in the Big Woods
Leave a Reply