The cousins enjoyed maple candy made during Little House in the Big Woods. Here is how you can make it safely at home. A great activity in the winter!
- 2 cups pure maple syrup
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- saucepan (non-stick works best)
- candy thermometer recommended
- Cook syrup over very low heat until it begins to boil, stirring frequently.
- Continue boil until it reaches 233°F on the candy thermometer.
- Remove from heat and cool for approximately 60-70 minutes, or until the temperature on the candy thermometer reads about 110°F
- Add the vanilla extract and heat until smooth and fluffy.
- Shape this mixture into small patties, or while still warm you can pour onto pans of clean snow as Laura did. If you have no snow, you can blend ice cubes until they are crushed, then place crushed cubes into a pan before pouring the maple candy. You can also use candy molds.
- Maple candy must be stored in airtight containers to prevent the candy from drying out.
From Little House in the Big Woods
Leave a Reply