While the name may turn some people off, the pie is actually quite tasty. It was one of the more unusual pies that Ma made, with this one featuring as a Christmas Pie in Little House in the Big Woods.
Ma was busy all day long, cooking good things for Christmas. She baked salt-rising bread and rye ’n Injun bread, and Swedish crackers, and a huge pan of baked beans, with salt pork and molasses. She baked vinegar pies and dried-apple pies, and filled a big jar with cookies, and she let Laura and Mary lick the cake spoon.
– Chapter 4 Christmas – Little House in the Big Woods
Here is how you can make your own vinegar pie like Ma used to make.
- 1 c. sugar
- 3 heaping tbsp. all-purpose flour
- 1 c. cold water
- 3 egg yolks
- 1 whole egg
- 2 tbsp. butter
- 6 tbsp. vinegar
- 1 (9 inch) pie crust, baked
- Mix sugar and flour in saucepan.
- Add water, egg yolks (reserve egg whites), whole egg, butter and vinegar.
- Cook until thick.
- Pour into baked 9 inch pie shell.
- Beat reserved egg whites until stiff.
- Add 4 tablespoons sugar, spread over pie.
- Brown meringue lightly.
Leave a Reply